Bwlch Nant yr Arian Visitor Centre sits in a spectacular location, at the head of a valley with a flooded quarry below and views of the Cambrian Mountains and Cardigan Bay. There are walking, running and mountain bike paths around the site, and a Red Kite feeding centre where you can see these magnificent birds swoop down to take food.
Red Kite Feeding
In 1999, Bwlch Nant yr Arian became a red kite feeding station as part of a programme to protect the small number of red kites in the area at that time. The red kites are fed by the lake every day at 2pm in winter (GMT) and at 3pm in summer (BST). On most days there will be 50 or more kites in attendance, swooping down to pick up scraps of meat scattered on a grassy bank by staff. There is a hide to the east of the lake, adjacent to where the food is scattered, and a viewing area on the opposite shore which is great for telephoto photography, as the birds tend to carry food away from the feeding area and across the lake.
The hillsides surrounding Bwlch Nant yr Arian are criss-crossed with trails:
- three waymarked walking trails of different lengths which all offer great views
- three of the finest mountain bike trails in Wales, famous for long singletrack runs and superb views
- two running trails with flat sections, climbs and a variety of surfaces
- four orienteering courses ranging from beginner level to a more challenging option for experienced orienteers
- a waymarked circular trail for horse riders via forest tracks, paths and quiet roads
- a mountain bike skills park
The trails are well marked, and there are guides available in the visitor centre.
The visitor centre has a gift shop selling local and unique products and souvenirs. A café is open seven days a week from 10am to 5pm (hot food is served between 10am and 3pm). There are also toilets and bike jet wash.
On-site parking costs from £1.50 for an hour £5.00 for all day. It is sometimes possible to park for free in the lay-by next to the entrance to Bwlch Nant yr Arian.
Address: Bwlch Nant yr Arian Visitor Centre, Ponterwyd, Aberystwyth SY23 3AB
Telephone: 01970 890453
OS grid reference: SN 717 813